Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Micael Chabon: Champion of similes & metaphors

 If  I  didn't  love   Michael  Chabon already,  I'd  surely  be    smitten  after  coming across   this quote  in  Kathryn  Schulz's   New York Magazine  interview  on the occasion of the publication of  his new  novel,  Telegraph Avenue:
“I think in similes and metaphors. I might get three at once, and I just put all three in the sentence and hope that my editor will say, ‘Can you pick one?’

I  can't ait to   add  some samples  when  I  find time to read  Telegraph Hill.   In  the meantime,  here are some samples from his  Pulitzer Prize winning   The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay:   Thick shining hair, glossy as  a squirt of  black paint . . .
His heart smacking against his ribs like a bumblebee at a window.  . .Pale as dough,   

No comments:

Post a Comment